- austrian_economic, college, economic, free_market, history, murray_rothbard
- History is not what we are taught. Here is a book that will turn
everything you learn about economic thoughts on its head. It all
did start with the Greeks, but Chinese, Catholics, Spanish
Scholastics, medieval Europeans, the modern nation states all
witnessed the ebb and flow of ideas about economic freedom -
clearly it was no one-way progress. Adam Smith paved the way for
Marxism. There is more startlingly detailed and extensive
discussion about what went through the ancient minds.
- EnglishBy Rothy2014-07-08• 572 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
9 6 3
To read a comprehensive, original, revealing, detailed, and well-argued discussion about economic thinking from ancient Greece to the 20th century.
- austrian_economic, college, economic, free_market, hayek
- Hayek knows that we cannot know enough to plan the economy, that
if we insist on central planning we would create injustice and
violence, that mainstream economists are only pretending to know,
advising government conceit that becomes so destructive. The
"Chops" section bookmarks additional works by other Austrian
economists on the economic calculation problem.
- EnglishBy Rothy2013-09-16• 646 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
8 10 11
- To collect Hayek's writings about how we are limited by our inability to handle enough knowledge to plan society,
- To highlight how arrogance on this matter will lead to disastrous results and oppressive central government.
- to collect other Austrian economists' arguments and critiques about the economic calculation problem (in the Chops section).
- The Hayek articles are:
- The Pretence of Knowledge (Nobel speech),
- The Use of Knowledge in Society (article),
- The Fatal Conceit - The Errors of Socialism,
- The Road to Serfdom (condensed booklet)
- austrian_economic, college, economic, free_market, ludwig_von_mise
- Human Action is the magnum opus of Ludwig von Mises about
praxeology, the study of human action and choice. Although a tome
of a book, a review has likened reading it to "imagine yourself in
a large mansion that is dark but for the nightlights along the
wall. You stumble from switch to switch, feeling your way around.
Then someone comes along and throws on a switch that illuminates
the whole building, inside and out, including the grounds outside.
This is what Human Action does."
- EnglishBy Rothy2014-05-06• 275 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
10 10 3
- What is the book Human Action like?
- Where can I get copies online, of various eBook formats, and audiobooks?
- What are the reviews like?
- Are there study guides and discussion that will help me?
- austrian_economic, bubble, business_cycle, depression, economic, free_market, trade_cycle
- Despite government interventions recommended by mainstream
economists, the world continues to breed bubbles and crashes.
Crises come in novel forms - as governments "learn" new ways to
print money, lower interest rates, and subsidize new sectors - in
energy prices, savings & loans, stock crash, currency swing,
internet bust, housing, education loans, and what next? Why can't
mainstream economics resolve the issue? What does the much maligned
free-market Austrian school have to offer?
- EnglishBy Rothy2014-05-06• 102 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
13 9 9
- Why do economies go through the boom-and-bust cycles?
- What do Austrian economists say and recommend about the trade cycles?
- Where can I find reading on the Austrian business cycle theory?
- Where might current bubbles go?
- austrian_economic, economic, free_market, milton_friedman
- Free to Choose - A Personal Statement is still as relevant today
as when it first came out 1/3 century ago. Nobel laureate Milton
Friedman maintains that the free market works best for all members
of a society and explained this with characteristic charm and
clarity. Published in 1980, the 297 page book contains 10 chapters
and was a U.S. best seller for 5 weeks. The TV series first aired
in 1980 in 10 parts, and updated in 5 parts in 1990 after the
collapse of the Soviet Union.
- EnglishBy Rothy2013-10-25• 463 Views2 Likes1 Dislike2 Subscribers
3 11 11
To bookmark video and transcript files for Free to Choose - A Personal Statement, ie,
- video files of the 1980, 10-part TV series,
- video files of the 1990, 5-part TV series,
- transcript files of the 1980 TV series, under the Chops section,
- background information.